B E F O R E
- Talk to the children about the many things that can be found beneath the surface of the ocean.What do they think is down there? Have they ever seen pictures? Emphasize the fact that there's aliving world down there.
D U R I N G
- In this exercise, you're going to pretend to be the diver, and the children are going to be all the things you see as you explore the underwater world.
- Explain this to the children and then "don" your scuba gear!
- Some of the things you might spot include the following:
- A fish
- An octopus
- A sponge
- The bubbles from your breathing
- A sunken boat
- A sea anemone (plant)
- A shark
- A jellyfish
- A crab
- An eel
- Another diver
A F T E R
Sand and water table and objects that sink or float
Bubble mixture and wands
- At the water table, provide a variety of materials and challenge the children to discover three that sink. (Make sure there are at least three possibilities.)
- Give the children blowing bubbles so they can simulate being underwater.